Drug Possession in Los Angeles
If you or your loved one is facing drug possession charges in California, you need a tough, smart defense team on your side. Arro Law’s experienced drug possession attorneys are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, to take your calls and answer your most pressing legal questions.
Arro Law is a top-tier criminal defense firm based in Los Angeles. Our drug possession attorneys are:
- Successful in defending all varieties of drug cases;
- Committed to serving our clients; and
- Dedicated to achieving positive results.
You can count on our attorneys to handle your drug possession case competently and to do what it takes to secure the best possible outcome for your case. Schedule your confidential consultation with Arro Law today.
Our Los Angeles Drug Possession Attorneys Can Help Your Case
Hiring an experienced drug possession attorney is a vital first step in defending any drug charge. Your drug possession attorney at Arro Law will provide you with expert legal guidance and a defense plan tailored to fit your unique case details.
At Arro Law, our services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Creating your legal strategy;
- Negotiating a plea; or
- Taking your case to trial.
Before entering a plea or going to trial, we will use our experience and skills to search out any weaknesses in the prosecution’s case, including:
- Insufficient evidence;
- Illegally obtained evidence;
- Unreasonable search and seizure; and
- Police mistakes.
Contact Arro Law to learn more about our legal services, potential legal strategies in your case, and prosecutorial case flaws today. We can also help explain any possible case outcomes and their related consequences.
What Is Drug Possession in Los Angeles?
California’s Health and Safety Code defines possession of a controlled substance as “having in one’s possession, or under one’s control, a drug or narcotic that has been made illegal by state or federal law and for which the person does not have a valid prescription.”
To convict a defendant of the crime of possession of a controlled substance, the prosecutor must prove the following five elements:
- The defendant possessed a controlled substance;
- The defendant did not have a prescription for that substance;
- The defendant knew of the substance’s presence;
- The defendant knew of the substance’s nature as a controlled substance; and
- The controlled substance was in a usable amount.
It is important to note that the section of California’s Health and Safety Code covering possession of a controlled substance does not contain marijuana and stimulant offenses.
Types of Controlled Substances in California
Controlled substances in California are both non-prescription and prescription drugs. These drugs can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- OxyContin; and
Legal Defenses to Drug Possession Charges
There are potential legal defenses to a drug possession crime, whether the drugs are non-prescription or prescription.
These may include:
- The defendant had no possession of the substance;
- There was a lawful prescription for the substance; and
- The search and seizure itself was unlawful.
Penalties for Drug Possession in California
If defenses fail and a defendant is charged and convicted with drug possession, the charge and punishment are usually for a misdemeanor.
California misdemeanors carry a punishment of:
- Imprisonment in the county jail for up to one year; and
- A maximum fine of up to $1,000.
More serious drug charges, such as possession of narcotics, can be prosecuted as a felony. This generally occurs when the defendant has a prior sex crime or serious felony conviction.
A felony conviction is punishable by:
- More than one year in county jail or prison; and
- Up to a $10,000 fine.
Other California Drug Possession Laws
There are other punishable, related drug possession laws in California.
These are as follows:
- Possession of a Controlled Substance for Sale;
- Sale and Transportation of Controlled Substances; and
- Under the Influence of a Controlled Substance.
If you or your loved one is accused of any of the above drug crimes in Los Angeles, you need an experienced drug possession attorney. Arro Law will work tirelessly to defend you against any drug-related crimes.
Contact a Drug Possession Attorney in Los Angeles
Drug crimes are serious offenses in California and can affect all aspects of your life. Choose your attorney and advisor wisely. Call Arro Law today for compassionate, non-judgmental legal representation you can trust and confide in.