Animal Cruelty and Abuse in Los Angeles
If you are facing charges for animal abuse or cruelty in Los Angeles, you need an aggressive ally on your side. At Arro Law, our animal abuse defense attorneys are available to take your call anytime, day or night, to schedule a confidential consultation to discuss your charges and set your mind at ease.
California is tough on animal cruelty and abuse offenders. Arro Law’s animal abuse attorneys are ready to defend you against any accusations. We pride ourselves on our:
- Passion; and
- Successful track record.
Your chances to achieve a favorable outcome are far greater when you have Arro Law assisting you. Let us fight for you and work to clear your name. Contact our attorneys today.
How Our Animal Cruelty Attorneys Can Help Your Case
Retaining Arro Law from the beginning gives you the best opportunity to build a strong defense against the prosecution’s case. We know how the criminal justice system works and how the California courts prosecute animal abuse and cruelty cases. Our attorneys also have a strong understanding of Los Angeles attorneys and judges who prosecute and preside over animal abuse cases.
At Arro Law, count on our animal abuse defense attorneys to:
- Meet with you confidentially;
- Advise you of your constitutional rights;
- Work with you to prepare a strategic defense;
- Gather relevant evidence regarding your case;
- Interview any witnesses;
- Seek a dismissal of charges when appropriate;
- Arrange an acceptable plea negotiation when advisable; and
- Proceed with a trial where appropriate.
Arro Law will make sure to reveal any weaknesses in the prosecution’s case and strive to give you the best representation available. We will also answer your questions in a timely fashion and keep you updated as your case proceeds. Call us at your earliest convenience to discuss our services and client commitment.
What Is Animal Cruelty?
In California, there are more than fifty laws regarding acts of animal cruelty. California defines animal cruelty as the malicious and intentional maiming, mutilating, torturing, wounding, or killing of a living animal.
Animal cruelty includes:
- Overworking or overloading an animal;
- Tormenting an animal by depriving it of necessary food, water, or shelter from the weather;
- Beating, mutilating, or killing an animal;
- Subjecting an animal to needless suffering;
- Inflicting unnecessary cruelty upon an animal; and
- Riding or otherwise using an animal that is unfit for labor.
Proving animal cruelty requires the prosecution to show the following:
- There was an act, omission, or neglect that unnecessarily and unjustifiably caused physical pain to be suffered by an animal;
- The alleged offender acted maliciously and intentionally; and
- The animal harmed was protected by the law.
While animal cruelty laws apply to every sentient being that is not human, there are exceptions for verified laboratory, educational, medical, and farming uses of animals.
What Are the Penalties for Animal Cruelty?
Animal cruelty is either a misdemeanor or a felony in California, depending upon the following:
- The seriousness of the offense;
- The classification of the animal harmed; and
- The alleged offender’s criminal record.
Misdemeanor animal cruelty carries up to one year in county jail and fines of up to $1,000. Felony animal cruelty may result in up to three years in state prison, probation, and a fine of up to $20,000. Counseling and payment for animal seizure may also be a requirement.
Additional animal cruelty offenses in California include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Causing or assisting a dogfight;
- Watching a dogfight;
- Animal endangerment;
- Sexual abuse of animals; and
- Abandoning an animal.
Contact a Los Angeles Animal Cruelty and Abuse Attorney Today
With so much at stake in an animal cruelty case, do not leave your case to chance. Call Arro Law and talk with one of our experienced animal cruelty and abuse attorneys about any of the above animal cruelty charges or another offense anytime.
If you need answers and explanations regarding your animal abuse and cruelty charges, Arro Law will help you. Do not hesitate to contact us in Los Angeles. The sooner we can start your case, the better the chance we have at mitigating any damages your charges may have to your personal and professional life.